Thursday, April 2, 2009

TV and Pulmonary Hypertension


Well hold me back. Yesterday, April Fools Day I was asked to be part of an "Awareness" program for PH. --> that's me doing a cartwheel.

I should back up some. We have an upcoming PH Support Group meeting and one of the Pharma Reps asked if they could sponsor a program about cooking and having a local celebrity do the program -- no salt and using herbs and spices. Sounded super good to me so it was looked into and we were finally able to make it a go.

I was excited about the presentation or demonstration for our Support Group and I was asked if I could come and meet Rania, our specialty cook; so Tom and I went for a ride to Pittsburgh. We met, discussed the type of foods that would be possible, suggestions, comments the usual when you are trying to make things work just right. Then Rania asked about Pulmonary Hypertension and it's causes and such. I started to tell her "my story" and she said you need to go on television. She does a weekly cooking program on KDKA a local TV station in Pittsburgh. Well, the wheels get rolling on that one. I am anxious, I am excited, I am emailing back and forth information about pulmonary hypertension, its causes, treatments and how we (those in the PH community) are anxious for a cure and the need for more awareness. I'm emailing to Rania, the producer for the proram show and just sending anything and everything I can think of. Trust me when I say I have a lot of info in "MY DOCS"

I was so excited the night before I didn't sleep well, I think I was afraid of oversleeping as we needed to be there by 8:15; which meant we had to drive to Pittsburgh during rush hour traffic. Now according to map search it's just over 50 miles to where we were going -- which is right in downtown Pittsburgh and the guesstimate to get there was approximately 55 minutes... Ya right, do wish these computers had some common sense about traffic... We planned to leave by 6:30 and we left by 6:35 not too bad considering all I have to take with me.

I had notes -- I contacted PHA to let them know the exciting news, Katie wrote back and sent me some helpful hints as I tend to overwrite when I want to say something -- did any of you out there ever notice that???? Anyway, I had it down pretty good, I contacted both of the PH Centers (AGH & UPMC) in Pittsburgh asked them for some specific info -- again I had a lot but hey I was going on TV. I wanted to have it right. They each sent me some info and I was good to go.

I had the symptoms of PH, the possible causes -- secondary pulmonary hypertension, I had the new PH bill HR 1030 - The Tom Lantos Pulmonary Hypertension Research and Awareness Bill of 2009. I brought a copy with me, I had a copy of the letter to mail to your Congressperson, I brought my camera. For me I had my back up medicine, my mixed medicine, my back up pump, my back up ice packs, my back up oxygen; and all those other needed supplies just in case. I was good to go.

We arrived on time, we were shown to the "green room" which isn't even green and waited our turn. BJ and Rebeca arrived we were then shown into the studio -- another whole different story -- and wired up. Just what I need, another wire *;*

We were told we would be second on the agenda.. a Harlem Globetrotter was to be first. Then there was a call, he was stuck in traffic and we were on. Nothing like being prepared... they must anticipate those situations as we were ready. The producer and staff were so gracious and curtious to us I was truly pleased. The reporter, Keith, was a cool and very professional guy. I do believe the presentation went well. The program not only include our awareness speil but also the cooking demonstration and a segment on no salt vs herbs and spices. All for Pulmonary Hypertension.

When you get to the site, look at the little video on the right and let it scroll until you see a hot pink jacket -- that will be me. If a newer PTL is on, go to the video library and look at April 1st -- it will be there and that segment is titled "Living with Pulmonary Hypertension. KDKA also put a link to the Pittsburgh PH Support Group. I hope you enjoy the presentation as much as I enjoyed being a part of it -- so here it is: Pittsburgh Today Live It has moved and you will need to go to the April 1st previous video library . This is the direct link to "Living with Pulmonary Hypertension".

Don't forget to look at Rania's cooking segment and Leslie's info on salt and herbs -- same Pittsburgh Today Live for April 1st - they both did a special about PH and cooking.

Remember to smile -- it's contagious

Merle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merle..You did a great job..I noticed how you held up the PHA folder the entire time...LOl Good promoting;) I would have been a basket case..LOl
Awesome work Kiddo;)
Hugs:)
Jen

Wendy's Mom said...

Merle, I just read your blog and found out that you are a WELL KNOWN Celebrity. I did go and watched the video and you did a great job. I think they should offer you a job at PHA to go on talk shows about PH. Who is next OPRAH??
You did a great job and like Jen I liked how you kept holding the PHA folder up so everyone could see it. LOL!!

Love,
Sheila