Saturday, February 14, 2009

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY


It's called sweethearts day -- and many other endearments. We send or give or receive flowers, candy and sweet cards or notes saying how special someone really is in our lives. We write romantic poems or fun and lovey sayings. Something to make this day special and loving.
The history of this day has a few mysteries that follow it, one being: "One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men — his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. While in prison he fell in love with his jailers daughter and sent her notes signed "from your Valentine"..... So there you have it -- or one of them.
Now I didn't get flowers for Valentine's Day but I did get a HUGE box of chocolates. I couldn't find an appropriate picture of a box of chocolates so hence the picture of roses -- another symbol of love and affection. This box of chocolates is too big to fit on my lap now that's a lot of candy. I have limited myself to only 3 pieces of chocolate a day -- I should be done in about a month. It really is big.
Tom and I celebrated Valentine's Day by giving each other lovey dovey cards... he is so good about getting cards and buys just the right one and he also brought over lunch and the chocolates.
Our one daughter invited us for dinner on Sunday (the 15th) -- we had steak and shrimp and fixings and this was also to celebrate our anniversary which is today. I told the kids today is so special because it is our anniversary and it is also a Holiday (President's Day) *;*. Again special cards but no special lunch == I had made a meatloaf Saturday night and we had ml sandwiches... good enough for me and it was for Tom too.
Remember to smile, it's contagious...

Merle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Anniversary:))
Man..that sounds like a huge box of chocolates:)) Sharing is advisable;)

Yes..great minds we must be...LOL
Take care and stay warm..I hear more snow and cold air is coming your way...
Hugs,
Jen