Sunday, December 19, 2010
How the heart is supposed to work
1. Blood that has delivered oxygen to the rest of the body flows into the right atrium
2. The blood then flows from the right atrium into the right ventricle
3. The right ventricle pumps blood to the lungs, where it picks up oxygen
4. This oxygen-rich blood is returned to the left atrium
5. The blood then goes to the left ventricle, which pumps it through the arteries and throughout the body.
6. When the blood needs to renew its supply of oxygen, it returns to the right atrium and the steps are repeated.
I was doing my usual hunt and search today for just your basic information about the dastardly disease known a pulmonary hypertension. I came across the above and when you think about it -- it tells exactly how the cycle or the interference thereof happens when you have pulmonary hypertension. When the blood (step 3) can't get to or through the pulmonary arteries we have TROUBLE.
Research or just searching reminds me of looking up something in a dictionary or encyclopedia. One word leads to another which leads to -- another clue which leads to another clue... just like in "National Treasurer", one of my favorite movies.
Just a little tid bit I found and wanted to share.
And remember to smile -- it's contagious