Thursday, February 25, 2010

Path to a Cure


I just spoke with the climbers... Jessica is back to feeling better she said the two doctors took very good care of her. They are about ready to go to bed as it is 6:30 p.m. their time (10:30 a.m. eastern). At 11 p.m. they will wake up -- have something lite to eat and then climb to the summit... remember the sunlight; they have to climb during the night.
I asked Dr. Benza if they were above the treeline now and he said they are looking DOWN on the clouds!!!
Unfortunately, we were cut off but I was reconnected... so to make sure they got all our well wishes, I told them how every one is rooting for them from afar -- how those positive thoughts and prayers are going their way and Dr. Benza said they will do their best to reach the summit -- it is the highest any of them have every climbed and more of a challenge. The connection was cracking again and I know they are tired so I felt a 15 minute conversation was the best we could do right now. They will call again on Sunday when they reach base camp.
What these doctors (Dr. Benza and Dr. Franz) and Jessica are doing is above and beyond the call.... To try and have or give yourself pulmonary hypertension, I guess to better understand those of us who have it, and to raise funding for research and awareness for this rare and life threatening disease; well, I just don't know what to say. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough for what they are doing for all of us in the PH community.
If you have pulmonary hypertension you may know that "sound" when someone talks.. their speech just isn't the same... I could hear me several years ago before I was on treatment; I still remember the struggle to talk. They weren't that bad but I could hear the strain in their voice. Or maybe it was the connection but I don't think so.
I wish them well -- sending those positive thoughts and prayers. YOU ARE AWESOME!!

Merle -- remember to smile, it's contagious.

They made it to the summit
!!!!

No comments: